Selling a Home
Considerations prior to your closing date:
- You will need to contact the Utility companies to let them know the date you are selling the property so that they can do a final reading for the property. Also you will need to tell them your new address so that they can send the final utility accounts to you.
- Alectra Utilities
- Reliance Home Comfort or Enercare to terminate your account for water heater rental. If the water heater is not owned by Reliance or Enercare, contact the company who owns the water heater prior to closing.
- You should contact Canada Post to forward your mail to your new address.
- Call the telephone company to inform them of your closing date.
- Call the cable company to inform them of your closing date.
- Call to cancel the house insurance on the property you are selling.
NOTE: Have the house insurance company cancel the insurance once the transaction has closed, in the event there is a delay in the scheduled closing date.
- Make sure to remove all your possessions out of the property except the chattels and fixtures listed in the Agreement of Purchase and Sale.
- The net sale proceeds from the sale of your property can be picked up at our office in the form of a bank draft or the net sale proceeds can be deposited into your bank account. If you want the monies to be deposited into your bank account, please bring a Void cheque to our office on the day of your appointment. Please note that we cannot deposit sale proceeds to an internet based bank such as Simplii Financial, Tangerine Bank, etc.
- You will need to set up an appointment with our office before the closing date to review and sign the sale documentation. We will contact you for this appointment. Please ensure to bring at least one key for the property or provide us the code for the lockbox.
- Each seller will need to bring two pieces of Identification.
Click here for Acceptable ID (This is mandatory).
We invite you to contact us for your legal needs and look forward to assisting you.
883 Upper Wentworth St
Hamilton, ON L9A 4Y6
Hours: Mon to Fri - 11:00am - 5:00pm